At this side event, a high-level panel with representatives of European and African governments, international finance institutions and non-profit organisations will discuss the main barriers to the development of markets for off-grid clean energy in African countries, and share the latest insights on solutions under development in their countries and by their institutions.
A central theme in the discussions will be the new Beyond the Grid Fund for Africa (BGFA), which aims to kick-start clean energy markets to bring clean, off-grid energy access to millions of people in Burkina Faso, Liberia, Mozambique and Zambia. BGFA builds on the success of its pilot phase, the Beyond the Grid Fund for Zambia, which helped nearly 800,000 people gain access to off-grid energy in 2.5 years and won an Ashden Award and a UN Global Climate Action Award in 2019. With an initial funding target of EUR 48 million, BGFA is an initiative of Sweden (Funder, initiator), undertaken by NEFCO (Facility Manager) and REEEP (Implementation Manager).
- Hon. Mr. Ndashe Yumba, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, Zambia
- Dr. Nathaniel T. Blama, Executive Director, Environmental Protection Agency, Liberia
- Adam Öjdahl, Adviser, Power Africa at the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
- Maher Chebbo, Chair of the Governing Board, REEEP
- Fenella Aouane, Principal Green Finance Specialist, Global Green Growth Institute
Moderator: Ash Sharma, Lead Adviser and Head of BGFA, NEFCO
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP; www.reeep.org)
- Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (NEFCO; www.nefco.org)
- International Center for Environmental Technology Transfer (ICETT; www.icett.or.jp)